The GIC Africa is one of five GICs worldwide. They all serve different regions, the GIC Africa covering 24 anglophone countries in Sub-Saharan Africa. The GICs are part of the German Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA). The GIC Africa is located within the German Embassy in Pretoria. Its aim is to communicate Germany’s various partnerships with Africa as well as German foreign policy (and other topics) to an African audience on currently three social media channels (Facebook, X, LinkedIn). All social media communication is in English.
● Working in a team of social media communication experts to manage and further develop the GIC’S social media channels on Facebook, X and LinkedIn; this includes community management
● Analysis of the GIC’s channels
● Analysis of media and social media landscapes in the region including trends
● Data research on social media (making use of different digital analysis tools)
● Development and implementation of communication campaigns & strategies for the GIC in close cooperation with the German MFA in Berlin, regional partners and communication experts
● Assisting German Embassies in various African countries by providing social media support, insights, analysis as well as graphics and copy
● Liaising with German institutions, international organisations and other players in various African countries
● Developing new strategies for follower growth
● Monitoring the constantly changing algorithms on social media platforms and adapting respective strategies
● Applicants must have a B.A. degree in journalism, communications, international relations or a related field and at least 3 years professional experience in the named or related fields. Higher degrees would be an advantage
● Excellent spoken and written command of the English language
● Excellent writing, editing, and digital skills
● Advanced professional social media experience (especially X, Facebook, LinkedIn)
● The applicant must be a strong team player and should be able to work well even under pressure
● Valid residence and work permit for South Africa is mandatory
Desirable qualifications (not compulsory, but definitely an advantage):
● German language skills
● Work experience in an international environment
● Understanding of institutional and administrative procedures
● Work experience in other African countries
● General knowledge of the German political, social, scientific and cultural landscape
● Experience in graphic design (ideally using Canva) and picture editing
● Experience in shooting and editing of videos
Please submit your application to the Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany no later than February 16, 2024, via email only to recruitments(at)pret.auswaertiges-amt.de.
Your written application in English should contain a summary of your professional background as well as previous work experience, qualifications, and a photo. All information must be documented with appropriate evidence, otherwise your application cannot be considered.
Suitable candidates will be invited to a written selection test and a personal interview - both will take place in February 2024.
If you have not received a response by February 29, 2024, please conclude that your application was not successful.